Sunday, February 13, 2011

Greetings from Romania!

After a full day of international flights, layovers, and then a drive to Tutova, I successfully made it to my destination without any problems.  No flight delays, no security pat-downs needed, no immigration issues, and to put a cherry on top, I easily found Dan, one of the Global Volunteer Romanian team leaders, waiting for me in the Bucharest Otopeni Airport.  Please take a minute to applaud me for not getting lost during my first European excursion.

Upon stepping out of the Bucharest airport, I was surprised at how “warm” it was outside.  Coming from 0 degree F winter temperatures and the blizzard snows of Chicago, I will take the 45 degree temperatures and howling winds instead any day. 

                                                                     Left this behind in Chicago....
                                        
                             For the village fields of Tutova (yes, those are a swarm of crows pictured below)!!



I do not think jet lag of any sort has set in yet, but it might be a different story tomorrow.  I plan on sleeping like a king here at the Raluca motel in Tutova.  Since I am the only male clinic volunteer on this team of five, I get my own room – lucky me! 

                                       My quite colorful and new humble abode - Pensiunea Raluca

I’ll leave you with a few observations for the day, so I can catch up on some sleep:
1)      International meals on flights are surprisingly edible.
2)      Romanians drive on the right side of the road.  I thought all Europeans drove on the left.  I guess not!
3)      Stray dogs populate the streets as a result of the Communist regime knocking down properties long ago.  The people were forced to move to apartments, while the dogs remained & exponentially reproduced. 

                      We were even given a kind welcome by a group of 3 pups at the inn. 
                             Supposedly, even the hospital has a group of "resident" dogs.

4)      You will find an occasional horse and buggy cruising alongside traffic, as it is still a common mode of transportation.  It's almost like a fun game - how long until the next horse comes along?
5)      McDonald’s (our 1st official meal in Romania) has different menu items in Romania.  They like to hide things from us Americans.

Orientation day and non-fast food is on the schedule for tomorrow, so we will see how it goes!

-Steve


No comments:

Post a Comment