Thursday, February 17, 2011

Babies, Borschts, Blackouts, and More Barlad

To start the day of work, one volunteer selects the message of the day to put the team into the right mindset.  Here is an inspiring poem that I selected to share with the team today:

“What is success?
To laugh often and much;
To win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children;
To earn the appreciation of honest critics and endure the betrayal of false friends;
To appreciate beauty;
To find the best in others;
To leave the world a bit better, whether by a healthy child, a garden patch, or a redeemed social condition;
To know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived;
That is to have succeeded.”
-Ralph Waldo Emerson

Tutova sunrise  (yes, I am up that early for no reason)
                                           
The aftermath of today’s visit to the clinic was bitter-sweet.  While seeing and playing with each of the kids is always enjoyable and thoroughly entertaining for both parties, it is always difficult to think about these children’s futures.  With the Ministry of Health representatives arriving for their inspection this afternoon, all of the nurses and aides were busily cleaning every inch of every room in the clinic.  I swear I saw an aide wipe down the same door four times.  While any decisions regarding the Hospital have not been made yet, outlooks appear bleak.  Converting 180 hospitals of the approximate 400 existing in Romania for centralization/cost purposes just seems ludicrous to me and will definitely cause huge problems in this country’s future.

Daria likes to compose new music masterpieces and practice for upcoming recitals she has booked in the Tutova area
"Queen" Andreea being a cutie
Gabi and Andreea practice poses for their future modeling careers

In other (way less significant) news, the power went out a number of times last night at our motel.  Since we are in the village fields of Tutova, it was pitch black.  Thankfully, I am not afraid of the dark and I did not forget a handy flashlight!  After numerous on and off flickerings for hours, I gave up and went to bed really early.  It was a real good sleep though!

Today at lunch (a borscht soup and a Bavarian salad), Dan spoke about how he grew up in Communist Romania as well as interesting details regarding the slow progress following the Revolution.  From learning about the rationings of food every month, to serving in the military, in addition to the far-reaching effects of the plummeting U.S. economy, it was much more interesting to listen to a personal account than to read a scholarly book by a historian. 

We also traveled back to Barlad this evening to meet the travel agent who would book our trip to Transylvania.  I think we definitely got ripped off, but oh well, it's a learning experience.  Mihaela sent a group of her students to lead us to the correct restaurant.  The guys were very excited to meet us, and by us, I mean the American ladies!  For dinner, Restaurant Alono did not disappoint!  I should get paid for these good reviews that I am posting about these places in Barlad.  A lot of the restaurants we’ve been to so far seem to serve a poofy Foccacia bread that is so yummy.  I need to learn how to make it pronto.  I also had a tasty chicken dish in a white sauce with mushrooms and mashed potatoes as well as two chocolate crepes.  Mouth watering once again….

No comments:

Post a Comment